The following books have been published by Clare Roots Society members. Until the end of September 2016 they could be ordered and purchased directly from this page. Following the retirement of the Society Secretary at the end of September 2016 there is no longer a person available to process orders so direct ordering from this page is, for the time being, no longer possible. However book queries can be directed to the Ennis Bookshop at http://www.visitennis.com/shop/the-ennis-bookshop/
Memorials of Past Lives, St. Columba’s Church of Ireland
This very attractive and colourful booklet which has been compiled by Eric Shaw presents over forty of the fascinating wall-memorials that adorn the walls of the Church and tells the stories behind them. It is part of the Clare Roots Society's local history publishing programme and follows on the success of Steele’s Terrace, O’Connell Street and Drumcliff (Calvary Section).
A Terrace of Houses, A Passion of People by Brian Dinan This book is based on the history of St. Flannan’s Terrace in Ennis and the people who lived there over the past 100 years. It outlines the history, from the purchase of the land, to the laying of the foundation stone, and continues with stories of the families who moved into the houses and lived there over the years. Brian explains the original names of the Terrace were Redmond Terrace on the Clare Road side and Fogarty Terrace on the Clonroad side. Both were renamed St, Flannan’s Terrace in later years.
"A Broad History of a narrow Street" by Brian Spring.The history of Abbey street and its people going back to the 13th Century. Listen to the author and Eric Shaw in the ClareFM interview on 11-Dec-2013 for some background. The book was launched at the Queens Hotel on Thursday 12th Dec 2013 (click here for photos taken at the launch).
Ennis at Work in the 19th Century. The book looks at the trades and occupations of milling, building and printing, the drapers and grocers and wine merchants, and the doctors and lawyers in Ennis, as they developed and changed throughout the course of the 19th century.
Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, Ennis. This book will appeal to those who have an interest in the contribution made by a community to build this fine Church during the bleak years of the famine along with the generations of people who have gathered and prayed in this sacred place where we share our faith our joys and our sorrows it is where we gather for family christenings, first holy communions, confirmations, marriages and funerals. It details the unique history of this significant building in the lives of Ennis people over the last 170 years.
The book cover is an illustration by local artist Hilary Gilmore of the Cathedral with Dean Terence O’ Shaughnessy wearing the uniform of a National Guardsman for disguise, he attended the execution of Louis XV1. He described this event as “the king’s foul murder” and it had a deep effect on him.
Bindon Street and Bank Place. Bindon Street and Bank Place and the people who brought the street to life tells the story of the building of the street and the unusual and interesting experiment in building speculation which took place in 1836 called “The Tontine”. We are introduced to the background of the women of Bindon Street and the story of those who spent their lives in service in the street. Along with researching the residents on each of the streets she has researched the buildings and people associated with the Banks, Post Office and St. Columba’s Church and the Clergy. The first house to be built on Bindon Street is the current Number 12 now occupied by Casey Solicitors. The next houses to be built are the current Numbers 3 to 6 which date from 1832. We learn that in 1855 a Presentment was made to the Clare Grand Jury to build a new road between Mr. William Kean’s house in Bindon Street (No 6) and the end of Bow Lane in High Street including a new bridge, later to be known as Carrolls Bridge. This bridge was completed in 1862. The National Bank building was completed in 1864 and the new church was built between 1869 and 1871 at the end of Bindon Street.
The Grottos of Ennis & Surrounding Areas. The Grottos of Ennis & Surrounding Areas takes us to 19 locations where we get a brief history of the following Grottos: Ballybeg, Buttermarket, Cathedral, Connelly Villas, Dalcassian Park, Davitt Terrace, Erinagh Fountain, Franciscan Friary, Hempfield, Claremont, Clarecastle, Hermitage, Lees Road, Loughville, Marian Avenue, Market Street, McHugh Villas, Peoples Park Lifford, Poor Clares Convent, Our Lady’s Hospital, St. Michael’s Villas. The book tells the story of the background and people associated with the erection of these grottos.
Summerhill.The area now known as Summerhill was part of a series of lanes generally known as Fahey's Lane, Corkalley Lane and Vinegar Lane. The earliest reference to the area dates to the mid 1700s. Using various sources Nuala has produced a map of the lanes and houses. The houses are numbered and their occupants from 1855 to 1935 are recorded. In 1935 the families moved to new homes in Connolly Villas and Hermitage. Those, who lived or are living in these areas or indeed in other parts, and have an interest in family history, may find their names recorded in the Summerhill Book,. To help the reader the names from the Griffiths Valuation and Cancellation books are also listed in alphabetical order in the index. Once the old houses were demolished the plan was to build new houses in the area. The process to start the Summerhill Project began in 1933 but the first residents did not move in until 1949. Many of the first residents to move into Summerhill were employed as radio officers in Ballygireen radio station or worked in Shannon Airport. Nuala has recorded the names of the residents and their children from 1949 up to 2014. Through the generosity of many families there are photographs dating back to the 1940s so faces can be matched with the names. Also included are the original documents relating to the leasing and purchasing of the houses, guidance for tenants, terms of repayment and many more. The publication has approx. over 1000 individual names, 380 photographs, original documents relating to the houses, parking in the area and the army. It also traces the original Minutes of the Urban District Council in relation to the area between 1933 and the 1950s.
Old Cloughleigh Road.The book entitled Old Cloughleigh Road has been edited by Kathleen Barry & Nora Shanahan and gives us the historical background to one of the oldest areas in Ennis.
Cusack Road / Claureen. The Cusack Road / Claureen booklet covers the people, buildings, and roadway features from the Maid of Erin Roundabout to the boundary of Claureen on the Lahinch Road. It commemorates the Manchester Martyrs, Allen, Larkin & O’ Brien. The Maid of Erin Monument was erected in 1881 and was moved on two subsequent occasions to its current location. The area is unique in Ennis as it has 3 historical houses that have undergone little change since their construction, Ashfield House, Westbourne House, Claureen House. The associated families and bishops are identified and detailed. The two bridges associated with the area Claureen (built c. 1760) & Victoria Bridge (built c. 1840) are reviewed from their design to their construction. The booklet also includes the history associated with Ennis Swimming Club at the Turrett from 1856 to the construction of Ennis first permanent Swimming Pool in October 1969 ntil the current facilities were opened in September 2003.
St Cronan's Church, Crusheen: A History. The booklet gives a brief history of St Cronan's Catholic Church in Crusheen. Originally built in 1836/37 it was reconstructed and dedicated to St Cronan in 1915. It also outlines the position that prevailed in the parish from the suppression of Inchicronan Abbey as a parish church in 1543.
"Ballynacally /Lissycasey: The Parish and its People" by Mary Hester of Ballynacally. This book shines a light on the history and genealogy of the combined villages. The book features the combined land records of the 19th century,the townlands of the parish, local history, geography, folklore and memories. There are over 300 photographs of people from all corners of the parish in this 170-page publication. Also included is a selection of obituaries that appeared in Clare newspapers between 1907 and 1960. These can give many details on family connections and can be useful to those doing research on family. The author also looks at the local built heritage, like post offices,schools,churches and graveyards which are at the heart of the community. It has been necessary to reprint this publication as the initial print sold out in a few weeks.
“The Turnpike” By Flan Hehir
This is a comprehensive and detailed account of the Turnpike, outlining its history and its people. The Turnpike is one of the oldest residential areas of Ennis famous for its connection with Political and Sporting Greats of times past. Book launch in The Old Ground Hotel Thursday 1st Dec 2016.
"The Ennis Parish Camino" by Sr. Canice Hanrahan.
Pilgrims from all over the world have walked the Camino de Santiago in Spain. To mark the 2015 Year of Consecrated Life in the parish over the years the Parish of Ennis had its own ‘Camino’ journey of pilgrimage on the first Sunday in June 2015. The booklet written by Sr. Canice Hanrahan rsm puts to print the details associated with the journey from Corrovorrin in the north of the town to Cahercalla in the south and recalls the events from 1240 to the present. The journey begins with the arrival in Ennis of the Ursuline Sisters in January 1829 and continues the journey with details of the arrival and stay of the Presentation Sisters of Galway, The Little Sisters of the Assumption, the Mercy Sisters, the second coming of the Christian Brothers, the Franciscans, Poor Clare Sisters, Brothers of Charity, Diocesan Priests, Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart, La Sainte Union Sisters, Missionary Society of St. Columban, the Sisters of St. Columban, and the St. John of God Sisters. On our journey we visit the locations associated with these religious orders. Within the walk we read about the work of Clare Social Services, the Mercy Sisters association with the workhouse and primary and secondary education in the town, the Christian Brothers arrival in Ennis setting up their school in the old corn store prior to their permanent home at New Road and much more.
The booklet is on sale at €4.00